Saturday, January 8, 2011

The organic experience

Received our first batch of organic vegetables bought online last thursday.

We were quite ecstatic to see such luscious green and plump vegetables, many with roots still attached and with purplish tinge on them. The bananas look ordinary but tasted great.

We are organic converts.

First of all, why the switch? I tell people it's more a push than pull factor that drew us to organic produce (and whatever we can afford). Because reading about the toxins that go into our food these days scared the shit out of me and hubby. What those toxins can do to us, subtly everyday and in the long term, is stuff of nightmares. And learning about the politics of the food industry (and most every industries), we know that it is up to us consumers to make the informed choice for our own health. Regulations are simple insufficient and not always dependable.

But there are pull factors too. What about the superior nutrients and flavour of organic produce? So far, we have been very pleased with how the organic vegetables and fruits taste. Simply yummy. Although they're more expensive, at least it's worth the money and we're not paying for stuff harmful to us.

Let me quote from The Good Body Guide.

"A plant cannot make minerals. For a mineral to be in the food chain, it has to have been in the soil in the first place.... Slowly, we are beginning to realise that current farming practises give rise to acid soils, salination and ultimately, dessertification."

"... but there are other problems with synthetic fertilisers. Recurrent applictions tend to increase the acidity of the soil, reducing its fertility. This problem is widespread throughout the modern agricultural world. Many minerals.... can only be taken up by a plant when the soil is neutral - neither alkaline nor acidic. Even when soil analysis reveals adequate minerals, they may as well not be there if the soil is so acid that they're not available to plants."

"In a 2000 British study, David Thomas scanned past editions of the respected authority The Composition of Foods, by McCance and Widdowson, and found some alarming trends. The overall decline of calcium in all food and vegetables was 46 percent, of copper 75 percent. Carrots had lost 75 percent of their magnesium, broccoli 75 percent of its calcium. An Australian study conducted by the Organic Retailers and Growers Association of Australia was also compelling. It examined beans, tomatoes, capsicums and silver beet for levels of calcium, potassium, magnesium, sodium, iron and zinc. Nutrient ranges in the organic products were commonly ten or more times higher than in commercial specimens."

"There is no reason to believe that there is any 'safe level' of substances such as lead, mercury or dioxin. Yet as they permeate the environment and the food chain, we have invented 'allowed limits', a neat way of side stepping the issue. The allowed limit implicitly admits that the substance can cause harm, but it also implies that at this level, it is unlikely to do so.... On the face of it, these criteria seem comprehensive. However they fall short by a long way of ensuring safety."

"The PCB or pesticide molecules pose danger because they are:
- toxic in their own right to nerves, the brain and other organs
- toxic to genetic material, and therefore potentially cause cancer and genetic mutation
- toxic to enzyme systems either through direct damage or overload
- gender-benders which can result in both malignancy and infertility"

I also want to caution about the use of preservatives. You know they're bad but here's more details.

+ Nitrites: The main usage is in cured meats for protection against the deadly organism Clostridium butolinum. They've been strongly linked to childhood cancer. (read the labels. Ham, sausages etc all contain high levels of nitrites)
+ Sulphites: These are usually present as sulphur dioxide. The ability to handle them depends on genetic factors. Their presence is associated with asthma, irritable bowel and migraine. (I always see sulphite in dried fruits. It helps preserve the fruits' bright colours. Luckily, I always go for the ugly ones without sulphites)
+ Benzoates: These are used to control the growth of yeasts and moulds. They are linked to behavioural disturbances and to the same illnesses caused by the sulphites.


I hope I don't sound preachy and longwinded. I just, you know, want to share what I think is really important. Maybe some of you already know all these. But I'm sure there are those who still don't. I mean, I wish someone would tell me all these stuff sooner so I could have lived a healthier life. That's why I share.

Anyway, here are the drool-worthy pictures of the organic vegetables from Green Circle.

My mum came for a visit the next day and I showed her the vegetables and fruits. We had ordered $41 worth of vegetables and our fridge's vegetable compartment was filled to the brim. I wanted to give my mum some. 

She wooh-ed and ahhh-ed at all of them and gave a lot of comments. The captions are my mum's comments.

Sweet potato leaves $2
 "哇! 这个番薯叶很美哦!" She was a bit sad that I only have one bunch and she couldn't take some home. She told me to let her know when I'm ordering again because she would like to order some too! :)

Pandan leaves $2
$2 for such a big bunch! Not expensive at all. I used some of it to cook sweet potato soup today. I couldn't believe my nose when I placed only 2 leaves in the bubbling hot water. There was an almost immediate whiff of fragrance! Very very fragrant. Hubby and I were still bemoaning that pandan leave these days have lost their flavour. Now we know where to get good ones!

By the way, the soup was delicious with the sweet potatoes, also organic of course. :)

Sweet corn $5.60
The website says these grown on their farm, are so good and fresh they can be eaten raw. My mum taught me to preserve the leaves to wrap rice and meat and steam! What a good idea! Oh, do you know the corn silk is very nutritious and when cooked in soup, the soup will be very sweet. You can also add hot water to the silk to make corn silk tea. Wow.

Sio bai cai $2.50
These shrunk so much after cooking! I must buy 2 packets the next time. They taste sweeter and crunchier then the commercial ones. But slightly more bitter too, though in a vege way, if you know what I mean. Hubby loves them!

Broccoli $15 per kg
Look at that purple tinge on the stem. Beautiful ain't it? And there's still so many leaves attached to it. Broccoli leaves, being the most nutritious part of the plant, can hardly be found on the commercial ones.

You'll never find such fresh organic broccoli at supermarkets, I think. And at Cold Storage, organic broccoli is $20 per kg.

This one tasted much crunchier then commercial ones, be it from Chine for Australia. It doesn't soften as quickly when cooked and retained a very pretty green colour. It was also yummier.

Lettuce $6.60
Considering how expensive commercial salad lettuce are, these are very cheap! And very safe to consume raw. Best of all, they're very YUMMY! My kids were practically fighting for them during snack that afternoon.

Mandy was going "Mmmmm. Very nice!" all the way chomping down on the raw lettuce. Such scenes make me very happy. :)

Oh and the purplish lettuce don't taste bitter at all, unlike the commercial ones which both kids shunned. This one, they liked. They finished a big plate of lettuce in minutes.

Brinjal $2.80
"They say, this kind of brinjals taste the best! Small with ugly skin, but very delicious!"

I'm cooking these soon. They're one of Mandy's favorite vegetable. So we shall see if my mum was right.

Ladies fingers $2.80
My kids adore ladies fingers. My mum said I will finally know how yummy ladies fingers can be after I tasted these. Ha. Looking forward to it.

Wild bayam (large) $2.50
I believe they're also called round spinach. Sharp spinach is phuay leng or 波菜. Correct me if I am wrong. They are all super nutritious.

"Wah. Very nice. See the purple tinge on the roots? These must be very nutritious." My mum thinks purplish roots = superior in nutrition.

She was so impressed she took back 2 of the roots (with leaves and stem still attached) and said she will try to grow them at home. In a POT! Ha. Good luck mum! She looked around and saw that I have another packet of spinach, so took one whole packet home. She also took some lettuce. I think she wanted to take more. Haha.

We also ordered 1kg of bananas which cost $4.
Aiyooooooooooo. I've never liked the small variety but this one..... *slurps* DELICIOUS!

I urged my mum to try one and she was like WOW! Nice! We agreed that these bananas have no siap siap taste. Not 涩, and so doesn't leave a dry aftertaste in the mouth like the commercial ones do. And these are very very very sweet. We're going to finish off the last few tomorrow. *sob*

Ok. So I've updated my online shopping experience for the few of you who are interested. If you have more lobang buying organic anything, please let me know too ok? Thanks!

By the way, the vegetables were mostly wrapped in papers/newspapers and loosely packed into a big crate when they came. :)

Hope you find all these information useful!

6 comments:

  1. I am SO inspired!! Am gonna start ordering some now! Thanks for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh so strange! I posted a comment, maybe two days ago. Just checking back and realized it didn't show up! How long does this batch of veg and fruits keep in the fridge? Usually I am deterred from buying bulk from the online grocer because organic vegetables don't last long usually and I find it hard pressed to cook them all in 3 days.

    By the way, do share your eggplant recipe. I am surprised that Mandy likes eggplants. I would love for my boys to eat them, but they won't go near.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley,
    The bananas took a surprisingly long time to ripen. I'm too used to the commercial ones which start to rot after 2 days. Ha. So they can last for the whole week without refrigeration. The ladies fingers were still ok after 5 days. Sweet potato leaves got a bit soft after 4, spinach was ok after 5. Brinjals are best to be cooked within 2 days of arriving. I had 2 heads or broccoli, one cooked early. After 5 days, took the other one out and the florets have turned black partially. But stem is still hard. I cut off the blackened parts and made cream of broccoli soup out of the florets, used the stem for chinese soup the next day.

    Cooked the sio pek chye quite early so they were still very fresh and crunchy. Sweet corn was delicious, we enjoyed eating it raw. Still very fresh after 3-4 days. Just finished off the lettuce yesterday, gently boiled and eaten with noodle soup. Still crunchy.

    Generally, even after 5-6 days, there was minimal rot in the vegetables. I hardly discard any vegetables. Contrary to popular belief, these organic vegetables spoil much slower than the commercial ones. I guess it's also because we got them from a local farm.

    There are other organic online grocers, I want to try but the vege/fruitas are mostly imported and more expensive. Variety is wider though.

    I stir fry brinjals as I would other vege. With some salt, a bit of sugar and oyster sauce. But have to cover the brinjals with water to let it soften. I guess it's called braising then. I don't cook yummy brinjals, don't know why Mandy likes. Ha. The yummy brinjals are all cooked with A LOT of oil so they turn out like wet sponges like mine. Ha. But so much oil. I cannot do it. I'm going to try adding cornstarch the next time to thicken the gravy, should improve the dish.

    Or you can bake it with minced meat and cheese. Quite yummy but Mandy doesn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Hmm... you would think that without preservatives the organic vegetables will spoil faster. Maybe the ones from this particular farm is very fresh to start with. I will try them. I've tried cooking eggplants both the Western and Asian styles before and I love them. But none of my boys would touch them. Shall keep trying till one day they like it, hopefully, like Mandy. :> Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your information about cleaning our swimming pool is very useful. It will help us to clean our swimming pool. Pool Service Honolulu provides us very clear and wide knowledge about cleaning our Swimming Pool Service Honolulu. Thanks for this nice information.
    extra long grain rice

    ReplyDelete