Tuesday, January 11, 2011

天上飞的交通工具

I've finally completed the 2nd part of our chinese homelearning theme on 交通工具. See here for the first part.

Previously, we did an aeroplane craft. I showed the kids youtube videos on aeroplane and helicopters' lift-offs.We noted the difference. Aeroplanes have to go faster and faster on the runway (跑道) before they can take flight. Helicopters, on the other hand, will have to let its rotor blades spin faster and faster before it can lift off directly from the ground!

So, I asked the kids, does a helicopter need wheels like the aeroplane?

Drew these on the board and let them hold the aeroplane/helicopter following the arrows.
Then, with some instructions, Mandy drew a helicopter.
Stuck on straws to place emphasis on the rotor blades (螺旋翼和尾翼).

I also jumbled up jigsaw pieces of an aeroplane and a helicopter. They pieced the 2 pictures and stuck them on a piece of paper. Mandy did the helicopter, Barry did the aeroplane.
Still on the topic of flying, I made them 'spinning helicopters'. See the video to find out what they are.

Can you see the paper spinning? 

I quote from the science craft book: " The helicopter falls to the ground because of gravity. Instead of dropping straight down like most things do, it spins gently to the ground. As the helicopter falls, each blade hits the air, forcing the air out to one side. This makes the helicopter soin and slows down its fall."

The kids were so thrilled to see them spin. I explained gravity (this part is in english, I don't think they would be even interested in listening to me if I start spouting things like 地心吸引力. Ha.) by telling them I was going to jumo, touch the light and not come down to the floor. They grinned and asked me to give it a try.

After a few failed attempts, they tried too. All of us inevitably came back down. I told them it was gravity at work. Whatever we throw, they will fall to the ground too.

Then I quoted the book and they kind of switched off. Ha.

If you're interested, here's the instructions for Spinning Helicopter.
Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment