Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cute little lions ushering in the new year!

Inspired by Crazymommy, I did lion dance costumes with the kids on friday. In fact, she has so many good CNY craft ideas I want to do much more with the goods. Alas, I'm way behind schedule in spring cleaning. Haha. I think I should target ONE room instead of the whole place. I've lived here for...7 years? Or more? I don't think we've ever managed to get our place spring-cleaned in time. Oops.    

Plus, I haven't bought any new clothes for the kids. Not a single piece. Going to survive on Xmas presents. Ha. And they might wear clothes they wore last year. Oh, not Barry. Don't think he can still fit into them. :p

By the way,  Crazymommy is a sahm with 2 kids (with no help) and she's very talented in crafts and super good at multitasking. I learnt a lot from her. :) So if you need craft ideas, go visit her site. She gives lots of links too.

Here's our version of the costume:
We spent more than an hour on these! It was fun but I didn't realise how exhausted I was. OMG, there was so much to do! Crazymommy, how did you do it?

I wanted to let the kids do as much as they could. So I left the choosing of colours, drawing, cutting, sticking to them. Mandy was competent enough to do all that. Barry was not. I knew he wanted to try so I let him. In the end, he made a huge mess, leaving many tiny pieces of paper all over the floor. Glue on the floor, sticky tape on the floor, shreds of crepe paper....cotton wool... I guess that contributed to my day long headache. (Serious, I had a headache after that that lasted till this morning. Ha)

Mandy did everything herself, except for the sticking of eyes and 'tail'. I'm very proud of her. She was actually tired from her slight cold but she said she liked making the costume so she would continue to do it even though she was tired.She toiled over it for over an hour.

Barry was distracted on the way but managed to be involved more than I expected him to be.

Oh, Mandy decorated her lion's tail. She said it's a tree. "These are the leaves falling down. A lot a lot of leaves. It's winter." She also scoffed at my idea of sticking the lion's mane. "NO. Lion's mane not like that what! They fall down at the sides one what!" before she plucked out the crepe paper I stuck on for demonstration and re-stick it her own way. The result is quite funny, looking like 2 ponytails at the side. But well, it's her masterpiece and she's really pleased with it. That's enough. :)

See them dance! Mandy delegated me to the drums. Hehe.

You can see the very unglam me for a brief moment in the video, juggling the drum and bells. Ha. Tempo a bit out at some points. That's because I was distracted ok. My rhythm sense and tempo is my strong point in music hor. :p

Hope we'll find time to do more CNY crafts. :)

2 comments:

  1. Aiyo...so paiseh!! I really not that talented lah and I happen to think you are the one with multi-talents!! REALLY!!

    BTW, I want to share this quote with you... "An immaculate house is a sign of a wasted life." So,take it easy with the spring cleaning and enjoy your two baobeis! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CM, don't shy lah! You're really good at crafts and superb at multitasking! and thanks for the quote! My hubby will love it cos he leaves things everywhere and complains that I force him to keep them and I sometimes throws them away.

    ReplyDelete